Riding a bicycle is an excellent form of transportation to get to work, visit friends, or check out a local restaurant. Yet, accidents involving bicyclists happen every day. When this happens, accident victims have legal options.
If you sustained an injury in a bicycle accident, you deserve compensation. At The Hawk Firm, an Augusta bicycle accident lawyer can seek the money you need to move forward. Compensable losses may comprise your past, present, and future injury-related losses.Contact the Hawk Firm to receive your consultation today.
Table of Contents
- How Much Compensation Should I Expect?
- We Advocate for Grieving Families Following Fatal Bicycle Accidents in Augusta
- Our Lawyers Recommend These Post-Accident Measures
- We Advocate for Bicycle Accident Claimants Suffering From These Conditions
- Contact Our Augusta Bicycle Accident Team Now
What Usually Causes a Bicycle Accident?
Anytime we hit the road, in a car, on foot, or on a bicycle, we assume a certain level of risk. That said, a cyclist colliding with a vehicle has a much greater chance of devastation. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents are things like mistakes made at a light or a passenger flinging open a door. An individual in a car is protected by everything from airbags to metal, whereas a cyclist only has a helmet. What would usually be a minor car accident can quickly turn tragic when a bicycle is involved.
How Will You Prove My Bicycle Accident Claim?
It takes a lot to prove to a judge who was at fault in a bicycle crash. The at-fault party will likely have an insurance company using their legal team to try and disprove your claim. Insurance companies will do whatever it takes to avoid paying you what you deserve and will often offer you a settlement that’s a fraction of what your claim is actually worth. Bike accident attorneys dig deep into your case, investigating every detail and building a claim that holds up against even the most aggressive insurance companies. There’s a solid chance whoever caused your bike crash was distracted, be it from a text message or a child in the back seat. Your Augusta bicycle crash attorney will work around the clock to prove your accident could have been avoided if the other party hadn’t made a mistake. If you’ve suffered a serious injury in a bike accident, call a bike accident lawyer today for a free consultation.
How Much Compensation Should I Expect?
Due to the nature of a bike accident, a cyclist can be left with severe injuries or even death. From broken bones to brain injuries, the effects can be truly catastrophic. A trusted bicycle accident lawyer handles the cases every day and can quickly let you know what your claim could be worth. Every case is different so it’s hard to know your value without speaking to an attorney. At the very least, it’s important that the at-fault party or their insurance company takes care of all your medical bills, as well as making up for lost wages, pain and suffering, and various other non-economic damages you’ve likely suffered.
Our Augusta Bicycle Accident Attorneys Offer Comprehensive Legal Aid
Securing compensation after a serious bicycle accident isn’t easy. Without legal help, you could face pressure from claims adjusters, urging you to accept less than you need. You could also run into issues regarding fault and liability, complicating the claims process even further.
Since 1984, The Hawk Firm has advocated for injured bicyclists and their families. In that time, we’ve recovered multi-million-dollar settlements to help claimants get back on their feet. Below, we’ve compiled just a fraction of the services we offer. Our personal injury lawyers implement tailor-made strategies into every case we handle.
We Can Investigate the Bicycle Accident
Our team comprises experienced investigators who know what evidence can make or break a case.
Investigating your case involves:
- Requesting a copy of the police report. Law enforcement must write an accident report for any collision that results in property damage, death, or injuries. This report can give keen insight into how your accident happened. You can trust your lawyer to request a copy from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.
- Reviewing the evidence from the scene. We can review photographs, videos, or other relevant evidence to establish your accident’s cause.
- Getting eyewitness testimony. If anyone saw your accident happen, such as a bystander, we can use their testimony to supplement certain facts of your case.
- Consulting with accident reconstruction specialists. These experts use physics, computer simulations, and other methods to determine how collisions happen. We can use their testimony to support your case, as well.
With the information we find, we aim to establish that because another party caused your accident, you deserve compensation.
We Can Negotiate with the Insurance Company
All motorists in Georgia must carry liability insurance. This covers the injured person’s losses in a crash. So, we may start your case by filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurer. This requires us to understand your damages’ value, negotiate a settlement, and manage communications with the insurer.
Many bicycle accident cases resolve through insurance claims. Yet, your case could require a courtroom battle. If so, you can put your worries aside. We’re seasoned litigators with an intimate understanding of courtroom procedure.
We Can File a Lawsuit if We Don’t Settle Your Claim
Filing a lawsuit requires us to comply with the state’s statute of limitations. You generally have two years to file a bicycle accident lawsuit in civil court. Yet, this deadline is just one aspect of filing a successful lawsuit. We must also take depositions, exchange information with the defense’s attorneys, and advocate for what you need.
These are just some of the services we offer to injured bicyclists in Augusta. Whatever your case requires to reach a fair outcome, we’re ready to handle it.
You Could Recover Compensation Following a Bicycle Collision
You could recover both monetary and non-monetary losses through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. The amount of compensation injured claimants receive varies case by case. Our attorneys can provide a better idea of how much you could recover once we begin working together. We can seek:
Monetary damages comprise your injury-related financial losses.
- The costs of medical care: After a bicycle accident, you might have to stay in the hospital for a long time. You might have associated costs if you had surgery to correct an issue or another procedure. If so, you can recoup the cost of your necessary healthcare expenses.
- The income you lost: If you’re facing a long recovery period, you could miss a lot of work. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Augusta can seek lost bonuses, promotions, tips, employee benefits, and other revenue streams.
- Diminished earning capacity: If your injuries affect your working ability, you can seek recovery for the income you could have earned. Our team may consult with professionals in your field of employment to learn more about this expense.
- Property damage expenses: Your bicycle is a valuable piece of property—especially if it’s your primary mode of transportation. We can seek recovery to have your bicycle repaired or replaced.
You could seek other economic losses than those listed here. We can explain more after reviewing your case.
Non-monetary damages are not actual losses you incur. These losses account for the collision’s physical and emotional impact on your life.
Loss of life enjoyment: Before your injuries, you could have enjoyed activities or hobbies such as playing tennis, riding bikes, or even rock climbing. If you can no longer participate in activities you once loved, you could seek recovery for this hardship.
Pain and suffering: This accounts for the physical pain and emotional suffering your injury caused. Georgia is one of many states that does not cap how much you can request for pain and suffering. So, there is no limit to what you can recover for this expense.
Mental health trauma: Any negative psychological impacts you endured because of your injuries or the accident are grounds for recovering compensation. Negative psychological impacts can include post-traumatic stress disorder, ongoing anxiety, sleep issues, or depression.
Disability: A disability can bring on a new set of challenges that you might have to deal with for the rest of your life. A settlement or court award could offer compensation for these challenges.
We Advocate for Grieving Families Following Fatal Bicycle Accidents in Augusta
If your loved one passed away because of a bicycle accident, the attorneys at The Hawk Firm want to extend our sincerest condolences. We know compensation can’t undo your grief. Yet, it can alleviate your financial concerns while you focus on your well-being.
Using our network of resources and years of experience, we can seek:
- Loss of consortium: If your loved one was a close family member, you could recover loss of consortium. These damages compensate the surviving family members for the loss of support and companionship.
- Funeral and burial costs: The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) notes that even a simple funeral can cost thousands of dollars. Our team is well aware of this. We fight to recover the cost of your loved one’s funeral, casket/cremation, memorial service, and more.
- End-of-life healthcare costs: Your loved one may have required medical attention before their passing, such as life support. We can have these costs included in your claim, so you can avoid further financial hardship.
Our team can manage your wrongful death claim or lawsuit from start to finish. This grants you the time necessary to focus on your family, health, and well-being. During your free consultation, you can learn more about how our lawyers advocate for wrongful death claimants. We can also give more insight into what damages you could seek.
Our Lawyers Recommend These Post-Accident Measures
Your case started the minute your accident happened. Anything you do or say could affect your claim’s outcome. We want to secure the best possible outcome for your circumstances. You can help us help you by:
Getting Medical Attention
Seeking medical attention does more than promote your health and well-being; it also lays the groundwork for your bicycle accident case.
The information you get from your care provider can assert:
- The severity of your condition
- The cost of your medical care
- Your estimated recovery period
- Your past, present, and future healthcare needs
Getting medical attention also generates supporting evidence, such as imaging scans and lab test results. These items help us draw a firm connection between your accident and injuries.
Leaving All Insurance-Related Matters to Your Injury Lawyer
Some insurance companies are sharks. They don’t care about compensating injured people. If you’re facing an uncooperative insurer, you could face many setbacks in getting what you need. This is where having a bicycle accident attorney from our firm in Augusta benefits you.
We can handle all insurance-related matters, from evaluating settlement offers to negotiating for more money. Even if the insurer asks for something as simple as a recorded statement, refuse. You’re not obligated to give one, and any information you share could hurt your case.
Follow Your Treatment Plan
The insurer is only obligated to pay for losses directly stemming from the accident. For instance, if you fail to seek medical care, and your condition worsens, the insurer is not liable for those hardships. Following your treatment plan may involve taking certain medications, limiting your physical activity, and attending physical therapy.
These things show the insurer you’re committed to regaining your health and deserve damages.
Limit What You Share Online
You should only supply the insurance company with the information needed to process your claim. Anything beyond that could complicate your case, and that goes for the information you share on social media. While your case unfolds, be mindful of what you share online. We suggest abstaining from posting videos, photos, or statuses while your case unfolds.
Consider the Value of Legal Help
A bicycle accident lawyer from our team can manage your injury case in Augusta. Right now, you need this time to focus on moving forward from this challenging time. The last thing you need is a complex legal matter. Our team intends to make the claims process as straightforward as possible. You can learn more today during a hassle-free consultation.
We Advocate for Bicycle Accident Claimants Suffering From These Conditions
If you get in a bicycle accident, you could have severe injuries. At our firm, we can do everything in our power to ensure you get compensated for those injuries.
We’re ready to advocate for you after suffering:
- Traumatic brain injuries, such as concussions
- Spinal cord injuries that could cause partial or total paralysis
- Broken bones
- Severe lacerations and blood loss
- Soft-tissue injuries, such as strains or sprains
- Road rash
- Nerve damage
- Organ damage
These are just several of the common injuries someone could sustain in a bicycle accident. If you suffered one of these injuries, count on our team to seek the compensation you need.
Contact Our Augusta Bicycle Accident Team Now
After a bicycle accident, you might not know where to turn. At The Hawk Firm, we can support you throughout the entirety of your case. If you are dealing with the financial consequences of your injury, you deserve help.
An Augusta bicycle accident lawyer from our firm can help you. Contact us at (706) 724-8537 for a free consultation with one of the members of our team. We can set your case in motion now. For more information, reach out to an Augusta personal injury lawyer.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 Star Review
“Best Law Firm in the CSRA! Thank you Hawk Firm for handling all of my legal needs with outstanding professionalism! Highly recommend The Hawk Firm to anyone in need of legal services!” -Rob W.