Augusta Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcyclists have the same rights on the road as other drivers. While you may obey all traffic laws, other drivers may not, which puts you at risk. A negligent driver can be particularly dangerous for a motorcycle rider because an accident on a motorcycle can result in serious injuries. When you are a motorcycle accident victim, our attorneys want to ensure you receive compensation for your damages.
At The Hawk Firm, we value transparency, compassion, loyalty, and wisdom with our clients and provide them the legal care they need to rebuild their lives. An Augusta motorcycle accident lawyer at our firm can identify the liable parties and represent you throughout the legal process. Contáctenos The Hawk Firm today for your free consultation.
Table of Contents
- Why Choose the Hawk Firm for Help with Your Motorcycle Accident Case?
- Georgia Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Types of Injuries Motorcycle Accidents Cause
- How Much Compensation Can You Get from an Augusta Motorcycle Accident Claim?
- Proving Liability for a Motorcycle Accident in Augusta
- Georgia Enforces a Time Limit on Filing a Lawsuit After a Motorcycle Accident
- Contact The Hawk Firm for Help With Your Augusta Motorcycle Accident Case Today
Why Choose the Hawk Firm for Help with Your Motorcycle Accident Case?
There are many law firms in Augusta, and we understand that choosing the best one for you is a huge life decision. At The Hawk Firm, our mission is to serve our clients and help them receive what they deserve after getting hurt in an accident.
We Offer Free Consultations and Work on Contingency
We don’t charge our clients anything unless we help them settle. Yet, even when we do, we just take a percentage of the winnings, so you do not end up paying us anything from your pocket.
By offering free consultations, we allow you to meet with us and determine if we are the right fit for you. When you elect to have us represent you, we do not charge you because we care about our clients and are confident in our ability to reach a fair settlement for them.
Our Augusta Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Lead Your Case from Start to Finish
By working with our lawyer, you have someone knowledgeable in Georgia law fighting on your behalf. We may review police reports, take eyewitness testimonies, go over medical records, and keep you updated on everything related to your case.
In addition, we can speak with insurance companies for you. Most accident victims don’t have experience going back and forth with the insurer, and they can harm their chances of a large settlement by saying the wrong things to these companies.
While we work for you, you can take the necessary time to recover from your injuries to get back to your preferred way of life. Rushing back from an injury or not having enough time to recover can lead to more problems down the line. With us on your side, you don’t have to worry about that.
We Have Decades of Experience
The Hawk Firm has served Georgia residents since 1984. During that time, we have seen a lot of cases, so we know how to help you secure a fair settlement. Our trial attorneys have committed themselves to seeing our clients recover physically, mentally, and financially following an accident.
Additionally, if your case needs to go to trial, we are more than willing to represent you. We have been doing this for nearly 40 years, and we are not afraid to fight on your behalf for every dollar you deserve.
Georgia Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety (GOHS) revealed alarming numbers for Georgia’s motorcyclists.
Motorcyclists made up:
- 2 percent of registered vehicles in the state
- 11 percent of total traffic fatalities in the state
- 21 percent of total driver fatalities in the state
In addition to these statistics, which show the disproportionate danger to motorcyclists compared to other vehicle operators, Georgia motorcycle fatalities increased in the last three years.
Georgia saw 3,948 motorcycle crashes statewide. For every 100,000 registered motorcycles, Georgia saw 1,941.5 motorcycle crashes. That means about 2 percent of all registered motorcycles were in a crash that year.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can result from various factors, and many of them are related to the unique characteristics of motorcycles and the surrounding traffic environment. Here are some common causes of motorcycle accidents:
- Distracted Driving: Motorists not paying attention to the road due to activities like texting, talking on the phone, or adjusting in-car entertainment systems can lead to accidents involving motorcycles.
- Left-Turn Accidents: One of the most common scenarios involves a car making a left turn in front of an oncoming motorcycle. The driver may misjudge the speed of the motorcycle or fail to see it altogether.
- Speeding: Speeding is a significant factor in motorcycle accidents. Motorcycles can be less visible than larger vehicles, and high speeds reduce reaction time for both riders and other motorists.
- Impaired Driving: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly increase the risk of accidents. Impaired judgment and slower reaction times can lead to collisions.
- Unsafe Lane Changes: Motorists may change lanes without checking blind spots or signaling properly, putting motorcyclists at risk, especially when they are in the adjacent lane.
- Road Hazards: Motorcycles are more susceptible to road hazards like potholes, debris, uneven surfaces, and wet or slippery conditions, which can cause them to lose control.
- Faulty Equipment: Mechanical failures, such as brake or tire problems, can lead to accidents. Regular maintenance is crucial for motorcycle safety.
- Poor Visibility: Motorcycles are smaller and less visible than other vehicles. Drivers may fail to see motorcycles, especially in blind spots, during nighttime, or in adverse weather conditions.
- Aggressive Driving: Aggressive behaviors, such as tailgating or weaving in and out of traffic, can lead to dangerous situations and increase the risk of accidents involving motorcycles.
- Sudden Stops: If a car suddenly stops in front of a motorcycle, the rider may not have enough time to react and avoid a collision.
Motorcyclists and other motorists can contribute to road safety by being aware of these common causes and taking precautions to reduce the risk of accidents. Defensive driving, proper training, and adherence to traffic laws are essential for everyone on the road.
Types of Injuries Motorcycle Accidents Cause
Motorcycle accidents can result in severe and sometimes even deadly injuries. Common injuries that riders suffer include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Loss of limb
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Abdominal injuries
These injuries can require long hospital stays, surgeries, and continued treatments for years.
No matter how minor or severe your injuries seem, get medical care as soon as possible. Not only does it help ensure your health is in check, but it also links your injuries to the motorcycle crash. This way, the insurance company may not have enough room to blame your injuries on something else.
How Much Compensation Can You Get from an Augusta Motorcycle Accident Claim?
How much and which compensation you can seek after a motorcycle crash depends on your injuries, prognosis, and other ways the accident has affected your life. You can obtain compensation for economic (monetary) and non-economic (intangible) damages.
You can collect economic damages for:
- Past and future medical bills: For the ambulance ride, medication, surgeries, medical devices, hospital stays, diagnostic tests, and ongoing care
- Lost income: For the money you would have earned had you not been injured
- Lost future earnings: For the money you won’t earn in the foreseeable future because your injuries keep you from returning to your previous job at full capacity
- Property damage costs: For the repairs to your motorcycle
Non-economic damages you could pursue include:
- Pain and suffering: For the physical and emotional distress you experience from your injuries and the crash
- Loss of companionship: For the changes in the relationships with your loved ones
- Disfigurement: For the scarring stemming from your accident-related injuries
Your attorney can compile your economic and non-economic damages to determine what your settlement should look like. Discuss it with your attorney if you don’t know if you can recover a specific item. Generally speaking, you may claim anything that was not present before your accident that hurts your life.
Proving Liability for a Motorcycle Accident in Augusta
Proving liability in a motorcycle accident typically involves establishing that another party’s negligence or wrongful actions were the cause of the accident. Here are key steps and considerations in proving liability:
Gather Evidence at the Scene
- Photographs:Take pictures of the accident scene, including the positions of vehicles, road conditions, traffic signals, and any relevant road signs.
- Witness Statements:Obtain contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident. Their statements can be crucial in determining fault.
- Police Report:If law enforcement is involved, obtain a copy of the police report. This document often contains details about the accident and the officer’s assessment of fault.
- Seek medical attention promptly and keep records of all medical treatments and expenses related to the accident.
- Medical records, doctor’s notes, and bills can serve as evidence of the extent and nature of your injuries.
Preserve Physical Evidence
- Keep any damaged clothing, helmets, or other personal items that might serve as evidence.
- Preserve the motorcycle itself, if possible, as it can provide valuable information about the force and angle of impact.
Traffic Laws and Regulations
- Understand and document any relevant traffic laws or regulations that may have been violated by the other party. This can include speeding, failure to yield, or running a red light.
- Consider hiring accident reconstruction experts or other professionals who can provide expert testimony regarding the mechanics of the accident and who may be at fault.
- Check for any nearby surveillance cameras that may have recorded the accident. Such footage can be powerful evidence in determining liability.
Cell Phone Records
- If distracted driving is suspected, attempt to obtain phone records of the other party to determine if they were using their phone at the time of the accident.
- Collect statements from eyewitnesses who can attest to the events leading up to and following the accident.
- Obtain statements from the involved parties. However, be cautious about making statements that could later be used against you.
Consult with Legal Professionals
- Seek advice from an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in your area. They can guide you on the legal process, assess the strength of your case, and help you navigate insurance claims.
Potential entities who could be to blame in a motorcycle crash include:
- A government agency
- A driver
- A parts manufacturer
- A mechanic
- A pedestrian, bicyclist, or another road user
Once your attorney has determined who’s responsible for the crash, they can speak with your medical team to see whether your injuries directly stem from the accident. Afterward, they can better understand what related damages you sustained.
Other Reasons to Act Quickly Following a Motorcycle Crash in Augusta
On top of meeting the applicable deadline, acting quickly benefits the validity of your case. For example, businesses that could have captured the accident on video may erase the footage within a few days.
Alternatively, witnesses may forget important details of what happened after a while. If you wait a few weeks or months to take their testimony and they don’t include certain key information, the other side may claim that your version of events doesn’t add up. In that case, they could delay or devalue your case.
Contact The Hawk Firm for Help With Your Augusta Motorcycle Accident Case Today
The time following a motorcycle accident can be stressful. If you suffer severe injuries, you may find yourself out of work while medical bills pile up. While this may concern you, you have options to recover compensation and get back to your preferred way of life.
At The Hawk Firm, we are committed to our clients’ health, safety, and financial recovery. We can work on your behalf to determine liability, identify the damages you can recover, and help you file your claim or lawsuit. Team up with our Augusta motorcycle accident lawyers when you contact our team for a free consultation today. You can reach us at (706) 724-8537 or contact us through our website. For more information, reach out to an Augusta personal injury lawyer.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 Star Review
“Best Law Firm in the CSRA! Thank you Hawk Firm for handling all of my legal needs with outstanding professionalism! Highly recommend The Hawk Firm to anyone in need of legal services!” -Rob W.