Augusta Truck Accident Attorneys
While a lot of the same factors that go into a car accident also go into truck accidents, the sheer size of a semi-truck means a much greater chance of catastrophic injuries. A truck can smash a smaller vehicle and leave the victim with serious, lifelong injuries or worse. There are a lot of laws that go with the responsibility of driving a truck, but despite that, the majority of truck accidents are caused by the truck driver. Reckless and negligent driving is the cause of thousands of accidents every year, which has become a major problem in Augusta. If you’re facing the perils that come with being in a truck accident, you just might be eligible for a significant amount of compensation. Reach out to a truck accident attorney sooner than later.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a truck accident in Augusta, GA, our attorneys can assess your case and discuss your next steps. You have options for seeking compensation to pay for your medical care, get money for lost income, and cover other related expenses. You should not worry about these losses if a commercial driver’s negligence caused your accident and injuries.
Let an Augusta truck accident attorney from our team seek a payout for you. At The Hawk Firm, we provide free consultations for those hurt in Augusta traffic accidents. We offer honest legal counsel. There’s no fluff or sugar-coating when you partner with us. Just comprehensive legal help. Contact us for more information.
Table of Contents
- What Are the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents?
- Building an Augusta Truck Accident Case With The Hawk Firm
- Our Attorneys Manage Fatal Truck Accident Cases in Augusta, GA
- Frequently Asked Questions About Truck Accident Cases in Augusta, GA
Do Truck Accident Attorneys Deal with Insurance Companies?
Often truck drivers work for big companies that have big insurance policies. This can be intimidating if you’re going against them on your own. The good news is that big insurance policies mean the potential for a big settlement. That said, it won’t be easy. As soon as your accident occurs, an adjuster from that insurance company will likely contact you. The insurance company’s priority is figuring out who was responsible for the accident, how much damage has occurred, and what it’s going to cost.
Keep in mind, the truck driver’s insurance company is not on your side. Don’t give them a recorded statement and don’t agree to a settlement without consulting a truck accident attorney. You can be honest, but don’t admit fault. A seasoned truck accident lawyer knows truck accident law well and can guide you in order to protect yourself and make sure your claim is upheld.
What Are the Most Common Types of Truck Accidents?
Trucks aren’t known for swerving fast or racing; they are large and tend to crash in a handful of ways on a regular basis. A jackknife is probably the most common type of major truck crash. This happens when the truck’s bed swings out to the side and forms a jackknife formation with the cab of the truck. Once the truck goes into a jackknife position, it’s nearly impossible for a driver to stop it, and if your car is in the way, it could be lethal. Some other common truck accidents involve truck rolling, head-on collisions, and rear-end collisions. A truck accident lawyer will look at the events surrounding the truck accident and determine who was at fault and what your next steps should be.
How Much Do Trucking Accident Attorneys Charge?
When most people think about hiring an attorney, they think about huge upfront costs. Combine this with the huge bills you could be receiving as the victim of a terrible truck accident and it might not even seem feasible. Fortunately, most firms work on a contingency basis. This means the truck accident lawyer receives a small portion of whatever settlement they are able to get you. You don’t pay any fees up front, and your truck accident lawyer only gets paid when you do. This business model works great for both parties because you don’t need to stress over huge lawyer fees and the law firm has an incentive to win you the most compensation possible.
The Civil Statute of Limitations Plays a Vital Role in Your Truck Accident Case
Under Georgia law, we usually have two years to begin a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit. We must file the initial complaint in a Richmond County civil court before this date arrives. Missing the deadline could jeopardize your right to take the case to trial. We can ensure you meet this deadline as long as we know about your case in time.
There Are No Upfront Costs When Our Augusta Firm Advocates for You
We provide the peace of mind that comes with a trusted legal advocate. Today, you can enlist our attorneys with no upfront costs. We believe you shouldn’t have to pay anything out of pocket for our help—especially when dealing with a truck accident’s aftermath. Instead, we only charge attorney’s fees after we close your claim or lawsuit. We like to say: “We only get paid if you do.”
Building an Augusta Truck Accident Case With The Hawk Firm
The Hawk Firm, founded by trial lawyer Jacque D. Hawk, has served the Augusta area for almost 35 years. Attorney Hawk has received recognition from former clients, the community, and several legal organizations because of his success in securing justice. If you suffered injuries in a commercial vehicle accident in Augusta or the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA), we are here to help.
Here’s what you can expect from us:
We Can Pursue the Full Cost of Your Injury-Related Expenses
Our team knows how to document your recoverable damages and seek compensation for your treatment and care. Your settlement should comprise your accident-related expenses and losses.
Recoverable damages could include money for:
- Medical bills
- Related treatment and care expenses
- Future and ongoing care costs
- Income losses, including lost tips, bonuses, and wages
- Reduced earning capacity from lasting impairments
- Property damage, including vehicle repairs
- Miscellaneous-related expenses, such as temporary transportation costs
- Pain and suffering
When we file a claim for our clients, we gather documentation to show how much their case might be worth. This includes collecting medical bills, receipts, estimates, and medical records. We also call in experts who help us understand our clients’ future needs and prognosis.
We Intend to Establish Fault and Liability for Your Damages
The Hawk Firm knows how to establish negligence and liability in any traffic accident.
This involves showing:
- Duty of care. The trucker had a civil obligation to drive with reasonable care. This involves obeying the speed limit, obeying federal trucking guidelines, and following traffic laws.
- Breach of duty. The trucker did not drive with reasonable care. For instance, driving under the influence of mind-altering substances breaches one’s duty of care.
- Causation. The trucker caused most of the collision.
- Damages. You have medical bills and other losses related to the collision.
Georgia has a vicarious liability law. This means you could hold their employer financially responsible even if the trucker caused your collision.
We Support Your Case Using Evidence
Proving negligence in your Augusta truck accident requires us to investigate your collision. This is key to recovering the money damages our clients deserve.
Evidence differs from case to case but could include:
- The police accident report
- Eyewitness statements
- Videos or photos of the crash
- Accident reconstruction data
- An accident scene survey
- Relevant medical records
- Expert opinions
- Documentation of damages
The trucking company could have additional evidence we need to protect. We must act promptly so the trucking company doesn’t “lose” this information.
Here, we send a spoliation letter that requires the trucking company to preserve:
- The truck’s onboard data
- The trucker’s rest logs
- Dashcam video
- The post-accident drug and alcohol test results
- The driver’s employee records
- Evidence of any previous accidents or incidents
We Manage All Insurance-Related Dealings—Including Filing Your Claim
Our attorneys are often able to negotiate truck accident settlements with liable insurance providers. Yet, this isn’t easy.
For your insurance claim to succeed, we must:
- Evaluate the liable policy
- Determine your damages’ cost
- Present the cause of your accident to the insurer
- Write and send your demand letter
- Negotiate a fair settlement offer
- Offset any bad faith insurance practices
- Manage all insurance-related communications
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all trucking companies to carry liability insurance. This could provide an avenue for seeking compensation.
We May File a Civil Lawsuit
Sometimes, we need to sue the driver and/or trucking company.
We may proceed with litigation if:
- The insurer will not provide a fair payout.
- There are disputes about your case’s facts.
- There is a possibility of punitive damages.
- Our team believes the circumstances demand a lawsuit for another reason.
Even when we sue, it does not mean the case will go to trial. Most lawsuits settle before the trial date arrives. Mediation, arbitration, or continued settlement negotiations could help us get an acceptable offer from the trucking company and its insurer.
Our Attorneys Manage Fatal Truck Accident Cases in Augusta, GA
Under Georgia law, families can recover wrongful death damages if their loved one passes away in an Augusta truck accident. Our team represents spouses, children, parents, and other family members seeking justice after a careless truck driver causes a fatal crash. The rules on how these cases work are strict, but our attorneys know how to navigate the claims process.
Compensatory damages in your case may comprise:
- Income losses
- Loss of household services
- Final expenses, including funeral and burial costs
- Your loved one’s final healthcare expenses
- Intangible damages your family suffered, including loss of consortium
- You can learn more about how we approach wrongful death truck accident claims during a free case review. We can determine who in your family can take legal action and discuss the other facts of your case.
Frequently Asked Questions About Truck Accident Cases in Augusta, GA
If this is your first time filing a personal injury claim, you may have many unanswered questions about moving forward. We can answer questions specific to your situation during your free consultation. However, we’ve also compiled some of the most common questions we get from others in your situation:
What Should I Do After My Truck Accident in Augusta, GA?
We urge you to seek medical attention immediately after the collision. Doing so:
- Generates supporting evidence. Your attorney can use your lab test results, imaging scans, and medications to prove the extent of your condition. We can also use testimony from your healthcare provider to convince the insurer to settle.
- Promotes your recovery period. You want to make a full recovery from your accident-related injuries. Doing so not only betters your quality of life but also shows the insurer that you’re committed to your well-being.
Other post-accident considerations include:
- Leaving all insurance-related matters to your lawyer
- Limiting what you post online about the accident
- Following your prescribed treatment plan
- Referring all settlement offers to your attorney serving Augusta
Each of these things can help yield the compensation you need.
What Can I Expect by Partnering With Hawk Law?
We examine every personal injury case with an eagle eye. This allows us to identify your compensable losses, financial recovery options, and legal rights.
You can also expect us to:
- Give prompt responses to your messages. You can contact us anytime to voice your questions or concerns. That way, you never feel in the dark about your case’s progression.
- Advocate for what you need. We don’t work for insurance companies. We never have. We’ve always dedicated our practice to serving injured people in positions like yours. Our years of service have given us keen insight into how to manage your case.
- Offer honest legal counsel. We want you to understand what you’re up against. That way, you can accurately assess settlement offers and everything they entail.
Our team provides legal solutions that have helped numerous others recover fair compensation in similar cases. We are honest and transparent, providing compassionate yet aggressive support and guidance. We handle truck accident claims and lawsuits from start to finish. Trust our team with your case. We will look out for your best interests.
We Advocate for Truck Accident Claimants Suffering From These Conditions
When a commercial tractor-trailer truck collides with a passenger vehicle, the vehicle occupants often suffer serious injuries. This occurs because of the size and weight of the truck and trailer. Truck drivers must undergo additional training and follow more stringent rules than others because of the dangers these large vehicles pose.
Our clients who suffer injuries in truck accidents have various diagnoses and prognoses. This could include catastrophic injuries that require inpatient rehabilitation or ongoing care.
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Skull fractures and other head injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, with or without paralysis
- Internal injuries and bleeding
- Traumatic amputations and other serious limb injuries
- Compound fractures
- Burns and significant scarring
- Serious lacerations with excessive bleeding
Truck Accidents Locations in Augusta, GA
At The Hawk Firm, we handle truck accident injuries in Augusta regularly. We are familiar with how these accidents happen, where they occur, and how to help our clients navigate the claims process. We can talk with you on the phone, via video chat, meet you at home, or visit you at Augusta University Medical Center.
We also work with clients at other hospitals or rehabilitation facilities, but most crash victims with significant injuries go to Augusta University Medical Center. It is the only Level I trauma center for adults in the area. This hospital provides 24/7 trauma surgeons to stabilize injuries, trauma intensive care, and rehabilitation facilities. It is also a Level II pediatric trauma center.
Augusta’s location means it plays an essential role in the interstate movement of freight.
For this reason, two interstates serve the city:
- Interstate 20: I-20 connects Columbia and Atlanta through Augusta. It crosses the northwest portion of the region and is one of the most heavily used roads in the area.
- Interstate 520: I-520 allows motorists to bypass most of Augusta. The 23.34-mile auxiliary interstate runs from Augusta, GA, to North Augusta.
In addition, Augusta has four federal highways, ten state highways, and many other surface streets that move a lot of truck traffic.
Major trucking routes in the area include:
- U.S. 1
- U.S. 25 BUS
- U.S. 278
- GA 4
- GA 28
- GA 104
Any trucker moving goods across the Savannah River needs to use either I-20, I-520, U.S. 1, or U.S. 25 BUS. With more than 100 million tons of freight moving through the Augusta area each year, crashes could occur on any of these roadways.
Do I Really Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
One thing to think about after a truck accident is the fact that the driver and his company have a large insurance policy with high-end lawyers working to make sure they only have to pay the bare minimum. They may bully you into a settlement that is much less than what your claim is actually worth. A lawyer’s ability to build a solid claim and fight for you in court could have a huge result. Our team includes a former chairman for the GTLA trucking injury section and team members who have taught trucking injury litigation techniques to other attorneys..
Speak With a Team Member About Your Augusta Truck Accident
The Hawk Firm provides free consultations for truck accident victims in Augusta and the nearby areas. We can assess your legal options and offer solutions that could help you recover the money you need. We handle these claims from start to finish. With our attorneys dedicated to your case, you can put your time and attention into healing. For more information reach out to an Augusta personal injury lawyer.
Contact us today at (706) 724-8537 to get started. We can discuss your case and our services with you in detail.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 Star Review
“Best Law Firm in the CSRA! Thank you Hawk Firm for handling all of my legal needs with outstanding professionalism! Highly recommend The Hawk Firm to anyone in need of legal services!” -Rob W.