Augusta Workplace Accident Lawyer
While many Augusta workplaces have safety procedures to avoid workplace injuries, accidents still happen. Some jobs require more hands-on labor, such as construction, which poses a higher risk for workers. If everyone on the job site doesn’t follow safety procedures, accidents can happen and people can get injured.
You could recover compensation for your injuries if you sustained an injury while on the job. An Augusta workplace accident lawyer from The Hawk Firm could help you get the money you need to avoid a financial struggle. With compassion, wisdom, and dedication, Jacque, Erin, and the rest of our experienced legal team can fight to recover the maximum amount of compensation for our clients.
Table of Contents
Why The Hawk Firm Is the Right Choice
At The Hawk Firm, we understand that getting injured in the workplace is a traumatic experience—one that could significantly impact your health, livelihood, and work relationships. You could have large medical bills or miss work for weeks or months, leaving you with major financial concerns you didn’t anticipate. If this happens to you, our firm can help you avoid financial hardship.
We can advocate for you to recover the maximum compensation possible through a workers’ compensation claim or a personal injury claim. Our attorneys can walk you through every step of the claims process to ensure that you have the best chance of getting approved for a workers’ compensation claim. If your claim gets denied, we’re prepared to file an appeal or personal injury claim against the liable party.
When you choose The Hawk Firm, you can expect us to provide transparent, knowledgeable, and empowering legal services. We want you to feel confident as we guide you through the legal process. You can rest assured that we always do what is best for our clients.
Other benefits of working with our firm include:
- We can investigate the accident. This could include locating video footage, interviewing witnesses, reconstructing the accident scene, and carefully reviewing all evidence. Our attorneys miss no details as we gather evidence. Through our investigation, we can build a solid case proving the liable party’s negligence caused your injuries.
- We can ensure you don’t miss any deadlines. According to state law, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. Our attorneys can make sure you don’t miss any legal deadlines.
- We have represented clients for over 35 years. During this time, we have handled many workplace accident cases and know the tactics that insurance companies use to make low settlement offers. We prepare for cases with legal strategies and tools that have helped us achieve successful results in the past.
- We aren’t afraid to go to trial. Many law firms take each case with the goal of settling quickly. At The Hawk Firm, we take each case intending to get our clients the maximum amount of compensation. If that means we must go to trial, our litigation team will be ready.
- We offer free consultations. If you sustained an injury in a workplace accident and have questions, you can speak to an attorney at our firm at no cost. We can provide information about the legal process and steps you can take to get the compensation you deserve.
When you choose The Hawk Firm, you can expect us to provide transparent legal advice. We don’t beat around the bush. Our attorneys give honest updates about the status of your case, so you always know what’s going on.
Can I Get Money From My Employer After Getting Injured at Work?
After a workplace accident in Augusta, you can get the money you need to pay for medical care and other damages in two ways. The first way is to file a workers’ compensation claim. The second way is to file a personal injury claim against the liable party. Based on the circumstances of your case, the employer is not always the liable party in a workplace accident.
Steps to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim
People who suffer on-the-job injuries could receive workers’ compensation benefits. These benefits pay employees for the time they are out of work and help cover medical bills and other expenses related to the injury.
You must take these steps to properly file a workers’ compensation claim:
- Step 1: Report the accident to your employer. As soon as possible, let your direct supervisor or your designated workers’ compensation contact know about the accident and your injuries.
- Step 2: Get the medical attention you need. Even if your injuries don’t seem to require immediate treatment, it’s helpful to have documentation from a medical professional indicating the type and severity of your injuries.
- Step 3: File a workers’ compensation claim. When you inform your employer of your workplace injury, they can provide the forms you should fill out.
After filing a workers’ compensation claim, your employer’s insurance company will investigate the accident. After they investigate, they will either confirm or deny your claim. If your claim gets denied, contact an attorney from our firm. We can help you to take the proper steps to appeal the denial and prove that you deserve workers’ compensation benefits.
Steps to File a Personal Injury Claim
When you get injured on the job and workers’ compensation benefits won’t cover the costs of your injuries, your other option is to file a personal injury claim against the liable party.
The steps involved with filing a personal injury claim after an Augusta workplace accident include:
- Contact a personal injury attorney. If you call The Hawk Firm, we can investigate the accident and determine if your employer or a third party caused the accident. The attorneys at our firm can file all the necessary paperwork on your behalf. We can also build a solid case to prove their negligence caused your injuries.
- Determine your recoverable damages. Calculating your damages helps us know the estimated value of your losses. Our attorneys can use this figure when fighting for the amount of compensation you deserve.
- Negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company. Our attorneys can negotiate on your behalf to reach a fair deal with the insurance company. We know the tactics that insurance companies use to give accident victims less money than they deserve. The insurance company’s goal is to give you the lowest amount of money they can. Ours is to get you the most for your injuries.
- File a lawsuit if the liable party’s insurance company doesn’t offer a fair settlement. Our attorneys can represent you in court and present a case that proves the liable party’s negligence caused your injuries. The courts will then decide how much compensation the liable party owes you.
Following these steps with our attorneys by your side can give you the best chance at reaching a successful outcome in your case.
Understanding the Compensation You Could Recover
When you file a claim after an Augusta workplace accident, you want to recover compensation from the liable party and hold them accountable for your injuries. The compensation you receive could help you pay for the losses you incurred because of the accident. Therefore, it’s essential to know what types of compensation you could receive so we can calculate the estimated value of your case.
No two workplace accidents are the same, and several factors can influence the amount of compensation that you or your loved one recover.
These factors include:
- The type of negligence that happened and your ability to prove it
- The severity of your injuries and how they could impact you or your loved one in the future
- If the injuries will affect you or your loved one for a long or short period of time
- If you had to miss work because of your injuries
Recoverable Damages After an Augusta Workplace Accident
Recoverable damages are the amount of money the liable party is required to pay for causing injuries to someone else. In the case of workplace accidents, it’s typically the employer or another third party that has to pay damages. Our attorneys can calculate your damages to better understand the value of your case.
We primarily focus on two types of damages: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages are any monetary losses you incur, which usually have a clear financial value. Non-economic damages are non-monetary losses without a set financial value. The goal of recovering non-economic damages is to pay for your physical and emotional suffering.
Examples of economic damages you could recover include medical bills, lost income, and lost earning capacity (if you cannot return to your job). You could even recover the projected amount of future medical bills and future lost income if your injuries are severe enough to continue affecting you for years to come. Non-economic damages typically include pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment, and more.
Many Augusta Workplace Accidents Occur Because of Negligence
If your employer or a third party acted negligently and caused your injuries, you could hold them liable. The legal definition of negligence is when the liable party fails to behave with the same level of care that others would have exercised under the same circumstances.
To recover compensation, you must prove that negligence occurred. To do so, you must prove the liable party satisfied all four elements of negligence.
The elements are:
- Duty of care: The defendant owed a duty of care not to cause you or others harm.
- Breach of duty: The defendant breached their duty by failing to keep you and others safe from harm.
- Causation: There is a direct correlation between the negligent or harmful action and the injury. The injury would not have happened if the breach of duty had not occurred.
- Damages: You suffered losses, financial or otherwise, because of your injuries
As soon as we take your case, our attorneys can gather evidence to prove the liable party’s negligence caused your injuries.
You Deserve Legal Protection After a Workplace Injury
Depending on the type of work you do, you could sustain a significant injury on the job that affects you for the rest of your life. If this happens, you deserve legal representation that will fight for you.
Common Workplace Accident Injuries That Occur
Injuries in the workplace can range from mild to severe, depending on how they happen and how soon the injured person receives medical treatment.
Some workplace injuries are more common than others, including:
- Slip and falls: When someone slips, they could hit their head or break a bone during the fall. Employers must warn workers if the floor is wet or if there is a broken handrail, so people do not injure themselves.
- Repetitive use injuries: Any job requiring someone to do the same movement over and over puts employees at risk for repetitive use injuries.
- Back injuries: Employees who are required to lift heavy objects are at risk of sustaining back injuries. Employers must provide the proper safety equipment for lifting heavy objects, such as straps.
While many other types of injuries can occur in the workplace, these are the ones our firm sees most often. Whatever type of workplace injury you sustained, our attorneys can help you fight for compensation.
Contact The Hawk Firm Today for a Free Consultation
Every day, you go to work to earn a paycheck, not to put yourself in harm’s way. A workplace accident could cause devastating injuries that impact you and your family for the rest of your life.
If someone else is responsible for your injuries, we can help protect your right to recover compensation. The Hawk Firm has skilled investigators who know how to build solid cases for workplace accidents and pursue compensation from the liable party. We want to protect our clients from insurance companies looking to protect their bottom line.
If you’re in this situation and have questions about your potential case, contact us at The Hawk Firm today at (706) 429-5529 for a free consultation. This meeting is a no-obligation opportunity to learn about your legal options and how an Augusta personal injury lawyer can help you. Our team is available 24/7 to take your call, so reach out to us now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 Star Review
“Best Law Firm in the CSRA! Thank you Hawk Firm for handling all of my legal needs with outstanding professionalism! Highly recommend The Hawk Firm to anyone in need of legal services!” -Rob W.